Thursday, July 14, 2011

Blog Post #14 Media Fast

I participated in a media fast and I thought that it would be easy.  I was WRONG!  I thought that it would be so much more peaceful without the TV on as background noise.  I can say I can do without the TV, but I don't know if my little girl can go without Sesame Street! I managed to keep the phone off, and that was nice.  I did forewarn some people that I wasn't ignoring them, it was for a project.  And really, all the important people were around me.  This fast made me wonder if I could be Amish. Could I convert?  I already have a horse...alright, I am digressing.

horseandbuggy

I did wonder what the latest scoop was on Facebook.  I also thought whether I should check my EDM class blog. I didn't.  I thought the schoolwork could wait.  After all, this was a school project, the reporting would come soon enough. The time that I would have spent on the computer, I managed to cut the grass and wash three Labrador Retrievers while my little one was asleep.  I did look over at the closed laptop occasionally and wonder if it missed me. I think this was a amicable break up.  We are now back together obviously.
I am not tied so much to my computer as are a lot of people.  I think a younger, different generation will have a harder time participating in a media "fast." Children are used to being entertained by playing videos, watching movies, and reading books on Kindles.  I personally like to touch books and to flip pages.  I think I could handle a piece of chalk. The children may even wonder what chalk is. Wait, will there even be a chalkboard?
chalkboard

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted the comment I meant to leave (and will soon) leave for your Blog Post #13.

    You did it! Congratulations. But you do have an advantage with horses and goats as an excellent replacement for pixels!

    ReplyDelete