Saturday, July 9, 2011

Blog Post #12 Create an Assignment

old way to learn
My assignment proposal is what I had discussed with Dr. Strange when we had to watch "Mr. Winkle Wakes."  My idea was to interview an old teacher that we had (preferably in elementary school), or a principal of that particular school to see what has changed since we had attended.  The reason why I say elementary school is that for most of the students that would be a good while ago.  And if it was a REALLY LONG TIME AGO, (some teachers may either have died or retired, same with the principal) interview a teacher that is the oldest in length of time they have been teaching in THAT school. What has changed?  Are the children keeping up with technology? Are the teachers keeping up with technology?  Are they prepared to be students of the future?  Or is it still the same as what it was?  If you went to a school out of town, call to see if you can Skype. The educators at that school may want to use it to promote technology as well.  I see it as a win-win situation for both sides. If they can't Skype (a bad sign), take thorough notes and post a blog about the conversation and add your reflections to it.
The videos that we have seen are composed primarily of elementary school children using technology. These students seem so much more advanced.  I know that if I had in the late 70's and early 80's what the students have today in terms of technology, I would have been a completely different student. 
This assignment can really only be done during the fall and spring semesters.  Trying to contact anyone during the summer is virtually impossible.  My elementary school that I went to is a mile away from where I live.  I do have an interest in going to visit, so I do plan on carrying this assignment out. I think it would interesting to hear about what has changed since third grade. If anyone wants to know the year, it would be 1980. Please, let things have changed for the better.

childrenaroundcomputer

2 comments:

  1. This was a great idea for an assignment. I had the pleasure of team-teaching with a woman who spent forty three years in the classroom. I learned from her everyday. She was not very tech-literate. What she did have was a great ability to develop relationships with her
    students. Her former students would often come back to visit her classroom for a hug, or to
    catch up with news.

    No matter how much things change, the human element is unsurpassed. When we build relationships with our students, we gain credibility. It is then that we can guide and
    mentor them into life-altering learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea but ... Take a look at Ouida's post for Blog #12. It is similar to your plan, but she did it. Your turn to do the same.

    ReplyDelete