Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blog Post #11

Little Kids...Big Potential


I am impressed with the technology content these first grade students are learning.  I thought about what I was learning to do when I was in the first grade.  There is just no comparison.  This video of Ms. Cassidy's first grade class in Canada was inspiring.  An educator has to embrace technology in order for education to be enhanced.  Although Ms. Cassidy started out with few computers and no programs, she has found ways to utilize these wonderful tools. Her students are writing blogs, playing educational games, learning internet safety and etiquette just to name a few skills. These students are also using fine motor skills in conjunction with the mouse. They have learned to collaborate. In layman's terms for first graders it could be called sharing. There is so much more than just technology utilization. These students are excited about what they are learning.  I believe that these kids will have a  great foundation on which to build.  I think I want to go back to the first grade, especially if it's like Ms. Cassidy's class.

3 comments:

  1. "I think I want to go back to the first grade, especially if it's like Ms. Cassidy's class." It would be fun. And I also bet that you hope your daughter has lots of Ms. Cassidy-like teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your blog I especially agree with you when you said that "educator has to embrace technology in order for education to be enhanced". I also agree with both you and Dr. Strange about wanting to go back to the first grade. Had I learned all the things our students are learning now in the first grade I probably would have been more excited to learn. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I think the fun factor plays a huge role in a person's desire to learn!

    http://www.thefuntheory.com/

    Allie

    ReplyDelete