Sunday, June 26, 2011

Blog Post #8

This Is How We Dream Parts I and II: Richard Miller

Richard Miller's discussion on how information sharing has changed through the years was interesting.  Miller starts out stating that he grew up understanding writing was a solitary activity and that his house was filled with books. That was the premise to the lecture on how it has evolved to what it is today. The beginning comparisons were that books were solo authored and print based.  And the print would wind up in the trash at some point. I know that is true. I have first hand knowledge of thousands of medical journal publications that have been bound in leather and are sitting in floor to ceiling bookshelves in my father's office. In today's publication world, with the advent of the world wide web, those same journals are forever on the web and not taking up valuable space.

Richard Miller says educators must share ideas freely and globally.  That is also a relatively new concept.  There was a time when no one wanted to share ideas.  Researchers wanted to make sure everyone knew from whom the ideas came.  Now it is more about the collaborative effort. Technology has made it possible to do a lot of research without stepping into a library.  That is sad to me, just because I enjoy going to a library.  Another point is that learning is more about using the auditory senses.  Information being relayed over a podcast or using an iPod.  I am still getting comfortable with that concept.  I am a work in progress.  That is what education is anyway.  A work in progress.
This discussion includes a statement about needing inspiring teachers and spaces. I know that learning with technology is a step into the future, but our future is happening now.  We, as educators can see results immediately and provide feedback to our students immediately.  I am learning to write with multimedia and realize it is an ongoing learning process. I will also engage my students to do so as well.  It is our educational future.  

Carly Pugh's  Blog Post  #12

Carly  Pugh really sets the bar!  The many ideas she has and then narrowing them down to one topic must have been like being a kid in a candy store. With the use of technology, and coupling with the classroom, the possibilities are endless.  She has used multi-media for which it was intended. To further the interest in a student and creating a desire to know more with ideas, education, and the use of technology. I thought the video "Six Questions for Everyday" was poignant. I thought Carly went above and beyond what was expected.  I kind of feel like she didn't want the assignment to end because she has so much to offer.  She will truly be an asset to any school.  Parents will be glad their child is in her class.

kid and candy



The Chipper Series and EDM 310 For Dummies

These are such fun, student-created videos.  The primary messages of these funny videos are that one can't just watch, one has to participate to fully learn.  Experience is such a great teacher.  Another message is that  once you get behind, it is nearly impossible to catch up.
The initial feeling of being overwhelmed by the work because of lack of understanding in EDM 310 is right on the money.  But once starting the projects one can really enjoy it.  The tutorials that are in the instruction manual are priceless.  When one uses them, everything becomes clear.
I think a good video that could be created is using the angle of being overwhelmed by the classwork load, as in "EDM 310 For Dummies," but equating it with the question that was proposed to me by a dear friend of mine when I was already getting stressed by EDM 310 before it had even begun.  My friend asked, "Amy, how do you eat an elephant?"  I said "Uh, I don't know." As I had this vision of a very large elephant in my head.  She said, "One bite at a time."  This concept can be applied to any challenge one faces.  If one thinks about it, it's very true. Thank you dear friend.  That statement has brought calmness to my life. 
elephant on plate

 Learn To Change, Change To Learn

I understood this YouTube video to be about the need for educational reform. One of the first statements is made about what the shape our education is in. A commentator said education was ranked behind coal mining in IT development. I don't know if that was a good argument to use, because coal mining is a very dangerous industry and there is a huge need for IT development to keep miners safe.  Miners aren't dumb by any means and they absolutely need information about where they are working and the need for knowledge about earth demographics for their job and to simply stay alive.
I will move on to a point that I will agree with to a certain extent.  The statement that more stimulated learning occurs outside the classroom can be true.  Learning outside can be reinforced with life experiences.  Learning inside is not necessarily a bad thing.  A student needs to be inside to for some structured learning.  That concept may never go away. I will agree with the statement that "Technology is not a choice, it has created a world."  The choice to use it will happen with me and my students because I am involved with them and speaking and showing the merits that it has.  There are some people that say technology is a choice for them.  I feel they will eventually get left behind or just die off.  Harsh statement, I know. I will agree one hundred percent that teachers have to connect with other teachers. Most teachers want to engage their children with learning.  Having a wealth of ideas that are coming from all over the globe can keep learning fresh.  Children get bored easily and having a bank of resources can help to produce a student that will have a desire to learn for the rest of his/her life. As educators, we must "Learn to change, change to learn."







2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha! The elephant picture cracks me up! But your friend made a good point- one bite at a time.
    Advancing our classrooms to use technology can benefit in so many ways! It's also fun to learn and master! You have a great attitude about incorporating technology into the classroom. -Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful! Funny, witty, informative. Great pictures of leather bound books (by any chance elephant skin?) and an elephant meal! So funny!

    It is always fun to end my weekly read of blogs with yours. I smile again! Thanks!

    Oh yes, I endorse Jacey-Blaire's comment!

    ReplyDelete