Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blog Post #5

Eagle Nest Radio and Class Blog




This blog is a great way to listen to beginning podcasters.  My theory is if 3rd graders can do it, Then the older generation can do it too!  This was definitely age appropriate and the children seemed to like being involved in the activity.  I thought the background music to what they were describing was appropriate.  The children were giving a lesson on Roman times.
Two drawbacks are that if it is lengthy, one can start to tune out the information being given.  Another drawback is not having a clear speaker.  Enunciation is very important.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale

The information given in this particular blog was good.  One can see why the "millennium" students learn well with this type of technologyThey are auditory learners. The "millennium" word applies to students born after 1980.  What is the name people get born prior to that I wonder?
The podcasting creates good use of imagination and makes a student really listen. Absent students can continue to learn at home and not miss classroom assignments or lectures.  Podcasting reduces the excuses for missing assignments.  Children say it keeps their attention. And the biggest benefit for podcasting is parents can become more involved with their children's learning.
I hope I can do podcasting justice.  I am a pre-millennium person.  Practice, practice, practice!


100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn to Study Better

http://www.bspcn.com/2008/02/16/100-ways-to-use-your-ipod-to-learn-and-study-better


This is a one stop shop for podcasts.  Most of the sites are free to download.  This site is wonderful for auditory learners.  A Particular site is Learning Podcasts by Carolyn Wood.  This site takes you step by step with what you need for equipment, software, and the finished product.  I will be saving this to my favorites. Advanced podcasts are also covered in this site.   
What I have learned from these sites is that one has to become familiar with doing this sort of broadcast.  It can't just be done once and expect to be perfect.  Trial and error will happen, and practicing until podcasting becomes second nature is really what it is about.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy!
    You are very right, podcasting does depend alot upon enunciation. I am glad some of you are noticing that too! I think that would be a great way to teach grammar, public speaking, and just working on kids being good communicators and active listeners also. As you pointed out, it does take practice to do a good job, but the pay off is worth it! We can accomplish all this without boring them to death, because, as you mentioned, "millennium" students are different from other students.
    By the way, thanks for the goat cheese! My mom bought me a quesadilla maker a while back and I am always looking for different things to keep it interesting and delicious! I am looking up some recipes and look forward to trying it. I will let you know how much I enjoy it!

    Carly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My theory is if 3rd graders can do it, Then the older generation can do it too!" I think so too!

    Your button for the first section was the style we want. Your second section button is not the form you should be using.

    "I am a pre-millennium person. Practice, practice, practice!" How right you are!

    "I hope I can do podcasting justice." I am looking forward to your podcast. Just make use of what you have learned from these exercises in your podcast. And, as you said, practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed the Eagle Nest Podcast. These 3rd graders really did a great job. I loved the music they used and all the different facts they included. Also as you said, "If 3rd graders can do it, then the older generation can do it too", I agree. It is taking me a little longer to learn, but I am determined to learn all about technology and the many uses in the classroom before I become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete